expanded temperament

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:43:26 +0200

>     I read somewhere that the smallest pitch difference the average person
> (including most musicians and some tuners) can hear is about 3 cents, so
> when I read tuning articles where a few tenths of a cent are being quibbled
> over, I just have to wince.  Now if all my customers were concert artists,
> that'd be different....

I am not so sure what significance this has in relation to how a tuning sounds
as a whole. Great... the best ears can not hear better then three cents
difference in an isolated situation. But a pianotuning is not a series of
isolated notes... nor is it just pitch relationships we listen to. When
creating a balance tuning one can easily quibble over much slighter variances
then anyone could possibly hear when isolated... yet these can easily be very
essential parts of the whole of the tuning.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.