Stupefying Pitch Volatility

Ray T. Bentley Ray@Bentley.net
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:18:17 -0500

Terry,

I usually try to let the bass section be the final determining factor.  I
wouldn't want to raise the bass to +24 if it is at +10.  I would make two
passes and leave the entire piano at +10.  As a beginner some 25 years ago,
another tuner told me to let the tenor section determine the pitch of the
piano.  After three strings broke in the bass on a cheap spinet, I soon
discounted his advice as faulty.  If the bass is already +10, I wouldn't
raise it any more.  Conversely, here in mid winter, I would likely find the
same piano with the bass at  -10 or more.  At that time, I would float the
entire piano to -10 knowing that in six months it would be above.

Once again, I let the section of the piano that moves the least determine
the floating pitch.

--
Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Alton, IL