Unlacquered S&S hammers: was Re: Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:18:54 -0700

Del:

Do you actually find that you can get enough tone out of an unlacquered =
S&S hammer, especially from the 5th octave up?  I would be interested to =
know what your method is.  Do you remove lots of felt from the top?  I =
have, in the past, attempted to use their hammers without lacquer, but I =
found that in order to get enough tone I had to remove so much felt that =
it created other problems (tail length in particular). =20

Thanks,

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 27, 2001 8:35 PM
  Subject: Re: Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Tom Servinsky=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: September 27, 2001 1:46 PM

    Del,
    Have you had any problems with the Renner hammer ( non-stapled) =
pulling apart in high humidity regions. In S. Florida I have had 5 sets =
that we installed pulled apart. Obviously the problems were in the low =
tenor and bass and not the top 1/3 of the piano, which I'm assuming is =
why you stop where you do. I too have found that the reduction in touch =
weight far outweighs any concerns for separation in that portion of the =
instrument. But as a safe-guard for me, wires throughout the rest of the =
piano are mandatory.
    Tom Servinsky,RPT=20
---

  Tom,=20

  I haven't used Renner hammers for years. They are far to hard and =
dense for anything we do. It would be impossible to soften them enough =
using any technique known to the modern world. We use unlacquered Isaacs =
and unlacquered S&S hammers with a few unlacquered Ronsen's thrown in =
from time to time.

  Del