Dampp-Chaser.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:45:54 -0500

"Is a Dampp-Chaser going to stop the piano from being damaged, seizing =
up, rusting etc? "

Properly sized and installed, it should.

"What does one charge for installing them?"

I put a 100% markup on parts and figure 45 minutes installation for the =
first rod and humidistat, and then 15 minutes per additional rod. I take =
a bit longer than some folks, but I put all rods above the bottom of the =
frame-work under the piano (except the one rod that goes at rear of =
keybed). I also cut and custom fit each power wire - there are no =
bunched-up cords or danglers with my installations - I crimp all custom =
cut wires together - no bunches of plugs, etc.

"What is there expected lifespan?"

I realize nothing lasts forever, but I think these things last a LONG, =
LONG, LONG time. I should think the rods should last many decades. The =
humidistats I don't know, but the Dampp-Chaser folks claim they =
virtually never have failures with the humidistats.

In a real humid room, I recommend starting with your 50W rod along the =
back of the keybed and at least one extending from the keybed rear to =
the back of the piano. DC has a new plastic (mylar?) sheet for covering =
the bottom of the piano - sounds like it might be appropriate for this =
installation. Install, turn on, AND MONITOR SYSTEM FOR SOME PERIOD OF =
TIME WHEN HUMIDITY IS HIGH. Do this by plugging an old-fashioned =
electric clock (one that plugs into the wall and has arm that go around =
in circle - no digital clocks) into the humidistat, along with your =
system of rods. Let it go for 12, 24, or however many hours (maybe you =
will need to have the piano owner call you every 12 hours and report the =
time on the clock). This will let you know if your system is =
underpowered, overpowered, or OK. If, during times of high humidity =
(also monitor RH of room), the system is only on for 1 hour during a =
24-hour period, your system is overpowered. If it never turns off, your =
system is underpowered (keep adding rods until it turns off - spread =
them around under piano). If it turns off, even for a short period of =
time, you have your system just right.

If it is really humid down there, and you have action/key problems that =
are related to humidity, you might want to consider a separate system =
for inside the action and/or under the keybed - but only if you have =
humidity related problems in those areas.

This is how I did my piano at home. I do not install the humidifiers in =
my Florida installations. I have about 175 watts of rods under my 178 cm =
Boston (1 - 50W, 2 - 37W, 2 - 25W rods). The RH in the room often gets =
up around 75%. When RH is that high, the system runs about 90% of the =
time (I do not have the mylar cover under the piano). When RH in the =
room is at its lowest, around 35%, the system is never on. I have let =
the piano go for about 15 months now, and there is not a note more than =
2 cents from where I set it 15 months ago - it has been absolutely rock =
solid.

Those nice wool blankets for over the plate/strings will make any system =
work much better. I do not have one on my piano - although I do keep the =
lid closed 95% of the time - I open it sometimes when my wife is =
playing.

All the above is, of course, simply what I have done and what I would =
do. I am not an electrical engineer. It may not be the best advice. But =
it works for me.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20