Yamaha U1 - spongy, lack of repetition...

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 04:31:57

List,

The symptons include spongy keys, lack of repetition, and overall lack of
control when playing fast runs.  It's also difficult to feel aftertouch,
even though it's there.

A 1999 Yamaha U1, purchased brand new in the U.S., after customer complains
I proceed to the following:

1.  With all cabinetry in place, the keys stay up on the balance pins when
lifted upwards.  I eased the balance rail holes a bit.  The keys no longer
stay up.

2.  I slightly weakened the damper springs.

The symptons are as evident as ever.  Do I try lubing the capstans,
balance/front rail pins and key bushings with protek?

Regulation looks good, very good & uniform.  There is only slight excess
lost motion.

The symptons get better with left pedal depressed.

Any suggestions?

Jay Mercier
Associate member,
Twin Cities Chapter PTG