Yamaha U1 - spongy, lack of repetition...

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@attbi.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 20:50:10 -0800

Jay,
Re-check the damper lift to key timing It's probably a little early in =
the key stroke. How close is the checking right now? I'll bet the =
regulation is not correct.=20

Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@attbi.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jay Mercier=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 4:31 AM
  Subject: Yamaha U1 - spongy, lack of repetition...

  List,

  The symptons include spongy keys, lack of repetition, and overall lack =
of=20
  control when playing fast runs.  It's also difficult to feel =
aftertouch,=20
  even though it's there.

  A 1999 Yamaha U1, purchased brand new in the U.S., after customer =
complains=20
  I proceed to the following:

  1.  With all cabinetry in place, the keys stay up on the balance pins =
when=20
  lifted upwards.  I eased the balance rail holes a bit.  The keys no =
longer=20
  stay up.

  2.  I slightly weakened the damper springs.

  The symptons are as evident as ever.  Do I try lubing the capstans,=20
  balance/front rail pins and key bushings with protek?

  Regulation looks good, very good & uniform.  There is only slight =
excess=20
  lost motion.

  The symptons get better with left pedal depressed.

  Any suggestions?

  Jay Mercier
  Associate member,
  Twin Cities Chapter PTG