Wierd Pitch Raise Results

Patrick C Poulson pcpoulso@pacbell.net
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 21:29:27 -0800

Terry: Check to see if the piano has a laminated sound board. In my
experience a piano with a laminated board needs significantly less over
pull.  I assume that this is because the board itself is stiffer due to the
cross grain and layers of glue, and doesn't flex as much as a solid board.
I also use a SAT, but in these cases I modify my pitch raise technique.  In
the middle section, rather than tuning the unisons as I go, I mute off the
strings, pull just the center strings up to pitch up throughout the tenor
section, and then go back and pull in the unisons.  The upper treble and
bass I tune as usually. This usually brings the pitch raise in as close as I
typically get normally.  I also use this procedure on spinets and it works
well on them too.
    I hope this helps. Patrick Poulson, RPT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 8:50 PM
Subject: Wierd Pitch Raise Results

> Half the piano I tune require a significant pitch raise. I do a lot of
pitch raises. I use a SAT III. Almost all my pitch raises come out really
close to target.

> BUT. Some don't. Today I pitch raised three pianos. An Aeolian spinet
(what junk!) was raised 30 cents - came out real close to target. A German
F. Weber old upright - raised 80 cents and came out right on target.
Yesterday I did 60-cent pitch raises on six P22s (and tuned them - new
tuning output record for me! - also a new one-day income record for me! :-)
!!) - all came out right where I wanted them.

> I also pitch raised a 1973 Kimball console today. The piano was all over
the place tuning-wise, but was only about 5 to 10 cents flat on average. I
made the small pitch offset correction as usual with the SAT, and after the
pitch raise pass, the ugly son-&%-$-$#%&@ was a good 15 to 20 cents sharp.
WHY? I went through it again without any pitch correction (the piano should
have ended up perhaps 5 cents sharp) and every thing was like at least 10
cents sharp!

> Is this like some loosey goosey piano or what? Was I having an acid
flashback? I takes a lot to get me riled up while working on a piano, but
this one pushed me close to the limit.