Great tech tip. was Re: loose/tight flanges

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 15:46:18 EST

In a message dated 2/7/02 5:33:50 PM Central Standard Time, David Skolnik
writes:

> Wim -
> I often use my Apsco upright action cradle (removing # 1 & # 88 wippins),
> clamping the top action and rotating it, first so that the hammers swing
> clear without contacting reps.  You can immediately pick out suspect (tight
> or loose) pinning.  By taking off and measuring (by feel, gauge, or swings)
> a few, you know how to interpret the way the rest appear swinging on the
> frame.  This method works well unless the shank traveling is poor.
>
> Wim,
> The easiest way I have come up with is to take the top stack off and put it
> in the Upright Action Cradle. Turn it upside down and swing away. Hope this
> helps.
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

David & Joe.

This is one of the most useful tech tips I've encountered in a long time.
Thank you very much. I just did what you suggested, and I had a great time.
I'm going on a limb here, but I actually enjoyed repinning the flanges. I
knew instantly which needed to be done, and which I could leave alone.

And it is also a very quick way to see if your traveling job was done right.

Paul, if you're reading this, this is a must for the tech tips section.

Again, thanks for the great advice David and Joe.

Wim