All Slip and No Grip

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:54:06 -0500

Is the weak pinblock problem still a common occurrence in new =
Samick-made pianos?  There was a time a few years ago when Samick =
quickly sent oversized pins to any dealer reporting loose tuning pins on =
one of their fine pianos.

Hi Everyone!

Recently I had that enlightening experience of tuning a brand new Kohler =
& Campbell KIG-47 that had a pinblock so weak that it was difficult to =
set the pins.  Sorry, I didn't take any readings this time around, as I =
didn't want to alarm the customers until I've had a chance to talk with =
the dealer and possibly the manufacturer.  (The customers were intrigued =
by the tuning process and watched over my shoulder the whole time.)  My =
guess is that the torque readings would have been about 20 in/lbs or =
less, right on the edge of not holding at all.

[Now for a little steam discharge ...]  This piano was from a =
theoretically reputable dealer.  The dealer promises that all pianos are =
pre-tuned before delivery.  So why wasn't the loose pin problem reported =
to the dealer ... and/or why didn't the dealer do anything to correct =
the situation before delivery?  Yes, the dealer received a written =
report from me about the condition of this piano with the bill ... and I =
hope they are sufficiently embarrassed about the problems being found =
after the delivery.

Has anyone dealt with Samick on warranty issues lately?  Is there anyone =
there known to be responsive to the concerns of the field technicians?  =
I've not had any luck with them since Dean Garten left.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net