Junk Pianos

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 16:12:01 -0500

Notice that the complaining is not directed at the customer.  It is an =
attempt to understand how certain people can be so willing to spend so =
much money on all kinds of expensive state-of-the-art stuff for =
themselves yet cheap out in the worst way when it comes to their kids' =
interests.  The incongruity of the situation is enough to annoy most =
readers on this list, especially when the cheap-out involves what we =
love working on the most.

I personally think this is yet another case of an owner who understands =
and knows what to expect from the other material goods listed in the =
post, but hasn't a clue about how a piano should function and is not =
willing to spend the money to find out.  It's the same scenerio as the =
fancy exclusive club (or some other wealthy establishment) that buys =
only the cheapest piano available and expects the various pianists it =
hires to play the thing without complaint ... because the manager in =
charge of the thing knows nothing about and probably doesn't care about =
knowing anything concerning pianos.  The pianists can all be children =
for all they care.

Now the challenge is to convince the customer to upgrade to a better =
instrument for the kids, and some customers in this position can be =
incredibly stubborn for reasons we technicians have trouble =
understanding.  There's also the question of how best to keep the =
junkers out of circulation unless they were rebuilt into serviceable =
instruments.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net