make it heavier

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:29:31 +0000

>   I just got done regulating a Steinway O, (1930's vintage). It has new
>h.s.f., keys rebushed, etc. But the down weight is less than 40 g. One
>piano major has already complained
>
>   I should probably know this, but how do I make the action heavier?
>
>   Wim

Dear Wim,

Quickest way I know is to increase touchweight is to add small binder clips
to the shanks.  This makes the touch heavier not only in measured terms but
dyanamically as well.  It also fills out the tone if the hammers are on the
light side.  Y(ou need to rate the hammer weight to judge this)

The clips are cheap and it's reversable.  If you want to permenantly add
weight to the hammer you can use lead wire swaged into holes in
the molding.  You can get the clips from Pianotek or stationary stores.

We should be talking about hammer weight levels in discussions about touch
weight!  You can see a drawing of how to use the clips and I've also posted
a hammer weight rating system on my Touch Weight site:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/touchweight.htm

David Stanwood