Twist and Shout

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:06:57 -0500

Zen -
This is the post I was about to send before reading your response to
Patrick.  It was written with the vision of a grand, not upright piano.  I
decided to send it to you anyway, in the event that there might still be
some validity in it.

At 12:34 PM 02/13/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone --
>
>Yesterday was one of those days.  I was called in by a church to try to
>tune a piano that was notorious for not staying in tune.

It sounds as though you were familiar with the instrument's reputation
without having previously seen it.  Do you know other technicians whom you
respect that have attempted unsuccessfully to deal with it?  Do you know
who did the previous work?

>  What I found was all of the tuning pins standing so high in the pinblock
> that the bottoms of the coils were 10mm from the surface of the
> plate.  You read right -- 10mm, or 3/10 of an inch.  (Yes, I shot
> pictures of this, but I still have to get the film developed.  No, I
> didn't swear out loud, but it wouldn't surprise me if others before me had.)
>
>Pin torque was all over the map.  Some pins turned smoothly and didn't
>pose serious problems in being set.

Does this mean that, in spite of the coil height, you felt confident in
your ability to control the pin and string?  What was the torque,  or, a la
Larudee, 'up and down torque'?

>  Others were murderously tight.

Torque?

>  Only one was bordering on loose.

Torque?

>  What I'm wondering is, will pounding these pins to a proper height help
> bring about some sort of uniformity of torque or will it make the tight
> ones tighter still?

Why would you think that tapping in acceptable pins, and very tight pins,
and a loose pin, would make them all feel the same?  To my mind the only
reason for tapping pins is to create more torque for otherwise loose pins,
of which you seem to have but one.  Yes, coil heights evenly within the
proscribed range is a desirable condition, but if the price for this
consistency is unmanageable and inconsistent torque, it seems a pyrrhic
victory.  If many of the pins were already "murderously tight", where will
further tapping take you on the Guild Approved Adverbial Scale?

>Concerning the tight pins -- does anyone know of any cute tricks for
>slightly easing that tightness?  I'm going to work on getting
>authorization to do the pin-pounding job, and I'd like to be able to leave
>some semblence of consistency of pin torque when I'm done.

Why?  Do you need this particular job?  What if you were convinced that the
only way to make the piano acceptably tunable was, as Del mentioned,
replacing pinblock?  Would the Church Elders go for it?  If not, why would
you waste your time, effort, and good name attempting to correct someone
else's mistake?

>Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Don't do what I did.