Unequal key ratios: puzzler

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:50:03 +0100

David,

How did you mesure the ratio ? By weighting or measure ?

Thanks.

Isaac
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
David Love
  Envoyé : vendredi 15 février 2002 16:31
  À : Pianotech
  Objet : Unequal key ratios: puzzler

  Recently rebuilt a S&S model S c 1931.  The measured key ratios for the
sharps were .48, for the naturals .51.  I considered moving the capstans on
the sharps so the total leverage on each would be equal.  But when I started
to set up samples and take measurements, I found that the FW pattern was
smooth and the corresponding SWR's were equal.  I would have expected that
sharps to need less FW or, with a smooth line front weighting,  a varied
SWR.  Somewhere in the system something else compensated for the different
key ratios.  Question is where?  All new parts, strike weights smoothed, BW
all equal.  the job is now completed.  I left the capstan positions alone
and the FW curve was pretty smooth, SWR all 5.9 - 6.0.  A few bumps along
the road as is often the case, but one would have expected 6-10 grams less
FW on the sharps.  Any opinions?

  David Love