Prepared Pianos question

Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:56:43 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: LHudicek@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 16, 2002 4:38 AM
  Subject: Re: Prepared Pianos question

  I'm sorry you feel this way.  However, pianists are going to do it =
whether or not you say "no."  Wouldn't it be better to teach them how to =
do this without harming the piano rather than pretended you don't see =
it?  May I suggest Alan Eder's video, Non-Traditional Piano Techniques?

  Respecting your opinion but trying to open the mind,
  Laurie=20

Laurie,

I doubt you will find many piano technicians who will agree that the =
practice of preparing a piano for a performance is a good thing. This =
will be especially true among those of us who have had the misfortune of =
following up some of those performances the day after and being then =
faced with the task of repairing the damage done by ignorant and =
thoughtless performers.=20

There is probably not much you can do about the thoughtlessness, but it =
will be a good thing if you can dispel some of the ignorance by =
including in your thesis information on how easily damaged are certain =
parts of the piano. Following some of these concerts I've personally =
repaired (more often than not this means replacing) damaged dampers, =
hammers and strings. In one case both the soundboard and even the cast =
iron plate were damaged by a (in this case) so-called artist. Perhaps =
the guiding motto of the prepared piano artist might be, "First, do no =
harm...."

After a few of these experiences my recommendation to all piano managers =
became simply to allow the artist to do whatever he/she wished to do to =
the piano--as you've pointed out, they are probably going to do so =
anyway--but only after signing a binding financial responsibility =
agreement. It has been my observation that most folks--even artists--are =
much more careful with their preparing when faced with the prospect of =
paying out hundreds (sometimes thousands) of their own dollars for the =
unpreparing.=20

Regards,

Del

Delwin D Fandrich