voiceing

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:14:36 -0600

There has been a lot said lately about voicing, voicing techniques,
tools, preferences etc.  I had an interesting experience this past
week.

Some of our students were doing a recital of Spanish composers in the
auditorium of our museum.  They had a time to practice and try the
piano at 10:00 and I was to tune at 11:30.  Obviously they were still
practicing when I came in.  I noticed that the piano was pretty
bright for my tastes and said something about it.  They said that it
was just right for the music they were going to be playing.  I said
OK and proceeded to tune.

Twenty minutes later they all came back _with their teacher_ to make
sure I wasn't going to voice the piano down.  Another reminder that
while we have our opinions, the people who are doing the playing have
to have the final say.

dave
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu