David Love/Voicing tool Recommendation

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 22:16:39 +0100

Hello Del,

If I understand things correctly, the term "tensioned hammer is appropriate
in the fact that on the kind of stapled hammers, the voicing is done
creating tension in the hammer while the extremity of the felt stays fixed
by the staple (and impregnation sometime)
By loosening the fiber the tension is displaced where we need it.

The US S&S type of hammer voicing does not use the basement of the felt for
any sound production and the staples can be put off. This is a totally
different approach, and the use of lacquers/ tensioning agents does not add
so much tension that the S&S/"tensioned hammers" needling method.

SO I find the term appropriate.

For people who like the sound of cold pressed hammers, they surely will
appreciate to have their ancient hammers recovered with new felt, as ABEl,
RENNER, and other little shop uses to do in Europe. There you never obtain a
rock hard hammer, the big problem is that the job must be perfectly done if
we want the crown to be well centered, and the felt may be first class for
these jobs.
Have you someone doing that in the US ?

Regards

Isaac OLEG