Prepared piano

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:45:54 -0600

I have to point out that  there are some people who can and do
prepare pianos without damage.  We have a contemporary music group in
residence at SMU.  They _only_ perform contemporary music.  The
pianist who is also the director is very skilled at preparing and
unpreparing the instrument (her husband is a part-time, very good
piano technician).  She occasionally gives classes on campus on how
to do these things without damage.

So far -- although I've only been here 15 years -- I've never had to
repair any damage done by preparing the instrument.  It's the skill
and care of the preparer, not the music, that makes the difference.
Now, broken strings and action parts from traditional music like
Liszt, Prokofieff and Stravinsky.........

dave
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Meadows School of the Arts