Prepared Pianos question

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 02:14:34 +0100

Clyde

Without any buck available for the A440 A442 PR, And under the insistence of
the artist, I tuned the A4 at 442, A3 a little less, follow the temperament
since I find an acceptable fifth at the old pitch, and tune the rest of the
piano.

I guess I changed really the pitch for less than 20 notes finally, the
artist played and did not noticed nothing (seen that method done by a
colleague, another one use to say : "when nothing goes, tune the A's !")

That goes for the best concert tuner of the world (an maybe the near
neighbors)

Isaac OLEG (me)

Ahhh that feels good !
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
Clyde Hollinger
  Envoye : dimanche 17 fevrier 2002 00:29
  A : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Re: Prepared Pianos question

  Right on, Del!  When people realize the damage they do may touch their own
wallets, they become a lot more careful, usually, at least.
  Sort of along that line...  Someone on this list may be able to give a
correct version of the following; I don't remember where I heard or read it.
A pianist came in while the piano technician was tuning for a concert and
insisted that the piano be tuned to A-442.  The technician just said, "You
put a hundred bucks right here on the piano for the extra required work and
it shall be done."  To which the artist replied, "No, it will be alright."

  Money talks, and sometimes it says, "No."

  Regards,
  Clyde Hollinger, RPT
  Lititz, PA, USA

  Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

    After a few of these experiences my recommendation to all piano managers
became simply to allow the artist to do whatever he/she wished to do to the
piano--as you've pointed out, they are probably going to do so anyway--but
only after signing a binding financial responsibility agreement. It has been
my observation that most folks--even artists--are much more careful with
their preparing when faced with the prospect of paying out hundreds
(sometimes thousands) of their own dollars for the unpreparing.