S&S Style 2?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:58:54 EST

 Phil  writes:

<< I had a customer call me last night that was describing their piano to
me..he said there was no model that he knew of..it was a "Style 2
S&S"..approx. 9'.
  he knew that 440 may do damage to an
already repaired plate.
I have never heard of a "Style 2" .. can anyone enlighten me? >>

This may be a partial plate piano.  At one time, Steinway was making a
variety.  David Grossi, head of Steinway restoration at the time (1990?),
referred to one I had sent up there as a "Type 3", but wasn't sure.  He did
tell me they had to go downtown and get a "couple of the old guys who had
seen one like this before".  Here are some of the details:

Serial # 31785
9', Brazilian Rosewood
88 keys
3/4 plate,open faced pinblock
action was originally built on tall keys with rockers instead of capstans,

I have it at A 432 right now,  it has continually dropped in pitch and the
pinblock has slowly begun arching upwards, seemingly rotating in response to
the string pull.  I don't know how far it will go, but I am not going to
raise the pitch anymore until I see it slowing down some.
   There is an iron frame with adjustment screws in the proximal /bass corner
of the soundboard.

Regards,
Ed Foote RPT