Beginner Student and String Breakage

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 07:52:38 -0700

"Thank you Greg Newell for your tip to use a lubricant -- would McCall's =
VJ
Lube do?  It came with the course.  Otherwise I will order Protek's =
Center
Pin Lubricant as you mentioned.  Is it applied with a small paint brush =
or
something else?  Also, I will follow your advice on checking whether the
string has ridden up with the bridge pin."

    I would not use a paste such as VJ Lube. Use the CLP, it can't hurt =
the tuning pins should some reach them. I use a small eye shadow =
applicator; it's a sponge on a small stick. I just put the solution on =
the sponge and then wipe the strings on first the back side of the =
aggrafe and then on the front.
    And don't worry about the broken string. Sometimes even after all =
these years I'll have a string break; not too often, mind you, but it =
does happen. Yours probably happened because of water =
damage/humidity/rust from the flooding the piano was involved in. If =
you're using a "steady pull" method of tuning, that can sometimes =
increase your likelihood of breaking strings. Try using the jerk method; =
kind of a gentle snapping motion. That can prevent string breakage to a =
large extent. Also, next time you move a pin and don't hear a change in =
the pitch, stop and check everything immediately. Even the very best =
technicians make mistakes. Glad to have you on the list.