New Yamaha C-1 "swoosh"

Gary Mc gmcc@charter.net
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 06:38:57 -0800

I'm aware that Yamaha grands make a soft swoosh sound when using the sustain pedal, caused by the trichords brushing the strings as they lift.
A customer has a new C-1 in a room with wood floors and  high ceiling. In the ceiling over the piano, looks like a glass bubble with an art design on it .So the acoustics in the room are very poor to begin with...In discussing the problem, I stuck my head under the lid,  and while talking it seemed like someone turned the reverb knob up a few more knotches.  So I think what she is hearing, in addition to the swoosh, is the sound of partials becoming active as the trichord brushes the string, because indeed, when you press the pedal, there is a series of a tonal scale, not loud, but definately audible.  Any suggestions on what to do?
And I've not studied this, but why does this occur on Yamaha's and not Steinway or Baldwin?
Thanks for any help
Gary McCormick