Warranty work. Was: scraping spoons

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 08:12:41 -0500

David,

I can understand the client's wishes, but they should understand your
predicament as well.  I haven't done warranty work recently, but I do try
to educate my clients as needed.  Something to the effect of, "I will be
willing to work on this for you, but since I did not guarantee the piano,
I shouldn't need to give my considerable time without pay.  If the company
will not reimburse me for my time (which could run up to $xx), are you
willing to do that?  If not, then you should work this out with the
company (or the dealer) directly."

But I will still do some work gratis.  Recently I spent a lot of time
guiding a client through her justified dissatisfaction with her new piano,
for which I neither received nor requested payment.  We can always do that
if we choose to.

On the positive side, while Kent Webb was at Baldwin I called him about
repairing a separated back on a Wurlitzer console that was under
warranty.  I felt he was very fair to both the client and me in
reimbursement for work performed, and I appreciated that.

It's the uncovered costs involving warranties really gall me, especially
when it's a problem with my stuff.  I have a Lazyboy recliner that I
really like and which has a lifetime warranty on the mechanism.  It
doesn't work right, but even though the company will repair/replace the
mechanism without charge, it is up to me to get it to the store, and if
they need to ship it out, the shipping expense will be mine.  And I could
tell more such stories; my guess is we all could.

Regards,
Clyde