Dampers

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:35:39 -0800

I just installed a set of dampers in a grand.  The first three notes above the bass break have been converted to bichord wound.  The wedge dampers work great there.  The first flat dampers above that ring a bit.  I didn't use very long  pieces of flat (two pieces) on those.  I'm thinking that after I get the action finished and installed I might want to improve those first few.  Using trichord dampers comes to mind.

My question is:  If I use one piece of flat felt and one piece of trichord felt, should I put the trichord toward the agraffe or the bridge?  Or, would it be best to use trichord both places?

After some thought, I think the offending ringing may be due to the shorter segment of the wire and hence a trichord near the agraffe would be more effective.

Agree?  Show of hands please!

Thanks

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California