Dampers

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 14:52:06 -0500

At 11:35 AM 2/24/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>I just installed a set of dampers in a grand.  The first three notes above
>the bass break have been converted to bichord wound.  The wedge dampers
>work great there.  The first flat dampers above that ring a bit.  I didn't
>use very long  pieces of flat (two pieces) on those.  I'm thinking that
>after I get the action finished and installed I might want to improve
>those first few.  Using trichord dampers comes to mind.
>
>My question is:  If I use one piece of flat felt and one piece of trichord
>felt, should I put the trichord toward the agraffe or the bridge?  Or,
>would it be best to use trichord both places?
>
>After some thought, I think the offending ringing may be due to the
>shorter segment of the wire and hence a trichord near the agraffe would be
>more effective.
>
>Agree?  Show of hands please!
>
>Thanks
>
>Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
>Santa Clara, California
>cmpiano@attbi.com

When installing new felt, I place trichord front and rear up to note G#4.
Trichord on the front from there with flat on the rear,
However; I make the front trichord felt narrow as well from down around
middle C.

Most of the whoosh you hear is from the front trichord felt. So by trimming
the ends so they do not drag through the wires
and decreasing the length of the felt, the noise is minimized. Whooshless
dampers.

Bending the damper wires so they do not drag on the bushing eliminates
noise as well, especially if oxidation forms on the wires.

Certain manufacturers do something completely diferent...

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com