An Awesome Moment

MBailey911@AOL.COM MBailey911@AOL.COM
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:34:11 EST

In a message dated 2/24/2002 10:11:53 PM Central Standard Time,
crbrpt@bellatlantic.net writes:

<< learning to tune a piano has been the hardest thing I ever learned to do.
 It is the only endeavor that I ever failed at - flunking the tuning exam at
 least four times >>

Carol -

Congratulations on your awesome moment, and your determination to succeed!

It was a bit painful, though, to read how you struggled with the tuning exam,
since I too had quite the time getting to the point that I finally understood
what was getting in my way.  And the frustrating part was that I've never had
such a hard time learning something in my life.

I have a background as a computer consultant / business analyst, and always
prided myself on the ability to observe, ask questions,  understand the
problem, and create solutions that frequently had the business people
wondering if I had spent years in their line of work, rather than weeks or
months.  Learning to tune well enough to pass the exam was one of the most
humbling experiences in my life.

Why was it that I sometimes could set the temperment in an acceptable manner,
and sometimes not?  It wasn't for lack of trying, or practice, or attending
seminars and trying different methods presented.  And it was getting really
embarrassing when I'd hear people make comments about how easy it is, as if
anybody should be able to get it, and sometimes inferring that people who
couldn't pass the exam just weren't trying.

Then one day I had a chance meeting with Mitch Kiel and talked about my
frustrations.  After listening for a short while, Mitch asked me a few
questions to zero in on where I was having problems.  He then explained how
and why test intervals worked mathematically - simple things, but yet
explanations that I'd not heard before.  He then offered to sit with me while
I practiced a temperment, which I gladly accepted.  He made me explain which
note needed to be changed and defend my reasoning for why I wanted to change
it and in which direction it should be changed - all before I started to move
a tuning pin.

A common problem I had in the past was getting through the temperment and
knowing that something was wrong, but not knowing how to analyze which note
was the problem and being confident about which direction it needed to go.
Prior to that, I would have just started changing one of the notes.
Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, and sometimes it would screw
something else up.  I now had some tools to use while moving through the
temperment, each new note building on notes previously tuned with a new
degree of confidence.

That session totally changed my understanding and ability.  I took the test
soon after that and passed the temperment section with a confident 95.  It
could have been 100, since I totally understood what I had done wrong, but
knew that I needed to keep moving to make sure I didn't run out of time on
the other sections.  Wow, what a difference it made to finally understand in
my mind what made it work!

I know there are others out there who painfully struggle with the concept and
can't seem to get through it.  And the learning blocks that they have may be
different than the ones that I had.  I only wish that there were
opportunities for them to have the same type of experience I had - where I
learned that I wasn't that far off in my technique or really even in my
understanding, but needed a skilled listener and teacher to figure out what
my blocks were, and to give me some simple tools to help me get over the
hurdle.

I still feel quite humble about the whole experience, and don't think I will
ever forget how frustrating it was to be stuck in a place where I wasn't sure
of myself.  I hope my experience proves to be encouraging to others.
Technique and practice are one thing - understanding is another.

Still humble and learning,
Mary Bailey, RPT