Bechstein Date

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:17:37 -0500

Did you look on the soundboard? If I recall correctly, the serial number of mine is at the forward end of the board either on the bass edge or near the treble.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 8:03 PM
Subject: Bechstein Date

I'm trying to identify the date of a Bechstein IV (7'4").  It appears that the serial number has been removed from the plate by overly vigorous cleaning.  I can find no other number except an embossed number on one of the cross braces under the piano.  This number reads 16226.  I don't believe this is the serial number as that would put the piano back to 1885.  The owner seems to think it is c 1910-1915.  Anybody know what that number refers to and can I trace the date through it?

Thanks

David Love