Bechstein Date

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:27:49 +0100

Oh, David, I have another idea.

Did you try to trace the many technicians interventions by reading the =
front rail paper punchings ?  It can be funny.  Often, at the factory in =
Berlin, Bechstein people used newspapers to cut their thin front rail =
punchings.  More than often, you will find a date in the lower layer of =
punchings, probably original, surely if they appear with that funny =
gothic style old days german letter type.
I often get my Bechsteins from United Kingdom, and am often able to =
trace at what moment they have been imported to U.K., by reading the =
many different layers of front rail news papers punchings.

Hope this can help.

St=E9phane Collin
Brussels, Belgium.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 2:03 AM
  Subject: Bechstein Date

  I'm trying to identify the date of a Bechstein IV (7'4").  It appears =
that the serial number has been removed from the plate by overly =
vigorous cleaning.  I can find no other number except an embossed number =
on one of the cross braces under the piano.  This number reads 16226.  I =
don't believe this is the serial number as that would put the piano back =
to 1885.  The owner seems to think it is c 1910-1915.  Anybody know what =
that number refers to and can I trace the date through it?

  Thanks

  David Love