Laying Down on the Job

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 10:34:31 -0500

>Our local movers usually put the treble and rear legs on, then the lyre.
>They then place folded moving pad on the floor where the lyre will land and
>when they tip it over, the lyre hold the piano up high enough to install the
>bass side leg.  Then they just lift one corner and remove the pad.
>    Seems a little dangerous in the case of a weak lyre, but they have been
>doing this for years with no apparent damage.
>Regards,
>Ed Foote RPT

It can crush the edge of the pedal box bottom without adequate padding, and
even well padded, it's kind of hard on the lyre glue joints. A lot of
pianos are successfully set up and down this way, but I'd rather not. If I
was doing a lot of this, or moving them myself, I'd probably buy a Piano
Horse (I think it's called).

Ron N