EBVT Figures correction

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 05:53:31 EDT

In a message dated 10/3/02 1:14:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
SidewaysWell1713@aol.com writes:

> C   +1.2
> C#  -0.8
> D   +0.9
> D#  +.09
> E    -2.0
> F    +1.8
> F#   -2.7
> G   +3.1
> G#  +1.2
> A      0.0
> A#  +2.4
> B      0.0

OOPS, this is my main reason for not ever trusting this method of passing
along information.  It is far too easy to make transcribing errors.  If you
don't know or understand what you're doing aurally, how would you ever know
that you had made a mistake?

Here are Jorgensen's figures:

C    +3.8
C#   -0.8
D    +0.9
D#   +3.1
E     -2.0
F     +1.8
F#   -2.7
G    +3.1
G#   +1.2
A       0.0
A#    +2.4
B       0.0

Jorgensen listed them in a different order, so between the sandwhich and the
banana, a few of the numbers got crossed.  I wonder if this has ever happened
to anyone trying to dial in offsets to an ETD program, hmmm?  Once I got an
inquiry from someone whose name I'll not disclose but who is highly respected
for his work.  He wondered if the -10 figure for the note C was correct for
1/4 Meantone or if it should be +10?  He casually added that he didn't know
the difference, didn't go by *descriptions*, just the numbers.

How many errors might there be in some of these lists of temperament
"correction figures" I have seen out there?  Have these errors ever caused
anyone to have an opinion which was based on a faulty transcription or
analysis?  Think about that and use your ears to tune, not your eyes, as
Frans Mohr says.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin
www.Billbremmer.com