how long until good sound

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:17:04 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/02 1:34:34 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
collin.s@skynet.be writes:

> Hi list.
>=20
> May I ask all of you this simple question ?
> How long (following your experience) does it take to a newly restored pian=
o=20
> (soundboard shimmed, new strings, new hammers), before it reveals it's ful=
l=20
> musical potential ?
> Immediately ?
> 1 week ?
> 1 month ?
> 1 year and much playing ?
> 5 years and lots of hanging round ?
>=20
> Thanks=20
>=20
> St=E9phane Collin.
>=20
>=20
>=20

A rebuilt piano is like a new pair of shoes. I bought a pair of shoes once=20
which didn't quite feel the way I wanted them. The salesmen said they will=20
adjust to my feet, and then feel great. They got a little more comfortable,=20
but I tried for two year to get them to feel good, and they never did.=20

I think it's the same way with a rebuilt piano. If it doesn't sound the way=20
it's supposed to when you get done rebuilding it, then it never will. This i=
s=20
presuming the piano has been tuned about 6 or 7 times, the action has been=20
regulated, and the hammers have been voiced. It also doesn't take into=20
consideration that over the next 5 years, the hammers will adjust to playing=
,=20
and will sound different. Whether that different sound is better or not=20
depends on what you, or someone else, defines as "better."=20

So to answer your question, I would have to say immediately.

Wim=20