how long until good sound

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 15:54:08 -0400

> So to answer your question, I would have to say immediately.
>
> Wim

It has been my observation that it takes six to twelve months for a set
of good hammers to open up and become what they will be.  It is
noticeable when you tune the same piano over and over and over at a
university setting and see how a new set changes.

A new soundboard will take about a year to stabilize as well.

As Wim says, the potential will be fairly obvious and so will the
limits.  It does take some experience to know the difference but waiting
for the year will tell the whole story.  If the board is good then the
strings will have sustain.  If the hammers are good the tone quality
will be obvious even though you will need to wait.  If the tone is not
there at all then it is likely not going to come out not matter the
maturing of the parts.  A shimmed board will be what it will be, it is
only a new board that will mature.  If the new hammer sound like dock
sweepings then they will be no better than that at the end.

You can just touch a piece of furniture and know that it is either cheap
crap or high quality stuff.  So it is with pianos but you do need to
know what you are listen for.  Experience is.

		Newton