Baldwin caster socket question

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 17:09:50 -0500

>Roger, I do not understand your abbreviation "spec'ed", but your sentence
>seems to imply Hamilton was made to use only Darnell type casters unless
>someone was trying to save some money.

Hi Kieth,
                 The specifications call for Darnell castors, from time to
time there has been substitutes for what ever reason.  I assume it was
penny pinching. and they gave problems.
The spec's also call for a force fit.  Things go wrong in the plant, and  I
have seen times when little short screws were used, and that also lead to
problems.
I would agree that the Hamilon's (45" studio piano) have not had so many
problems with castors.

>I have yet to do caster work on any Hamilton Studio piano in 23 years that
>ever used Darnell castors, only the university style casters I referenced
>in an earlier post. To support this I have at least 40 Hamilton Studios
>and another 67 Baldwin Studios in my dbase, many of which I service annually.

As for Hamilton's, we have been selling about 40 a year (on average) for
the last 30yrs, so I think I have you beat for numbers dept. Where they are
rolled over surfaces that go from solid to carpet, that is where the
problems start.   Those carpet cleats play havoc with them. But to be fair,
I don't think any caste r mount,will stand that for long.
Regards Roger