verituner

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 06:11:31 -0500

Bill:

Yes, I've been very happy with the tunings made by TuneLab Pro,
especially since the latest version was introduced.  Telling the
program where the break is, and measuring 4 notes on each side of the
break makes a very good tuning on even problem pianos.  My choice is
still the full laptop version, but that's because I want the computer
there for other reasons (scheduling, invoicing etc.) but the pocket
version is also complete.  One thing I really appreciate about
TuneLab in all its versions, is that it has never crashed my system.
Robert writes very bug free code that is also quite compact.

dave

On 10/10/02 at 11:18 PM Bill Ballard wrote:

>At 8:03 PM +0000 10/10/02, Ron Koval wrote:
>>What the VT will do, using your example from above....
>>
>>You like the temperament octave real "clean" with a contracted 4:2,

>>instead of guessing how much, let the machine measure both the 2:1
>>and the 4:2 and put the tuning,say 70% between, favoring the 4:2.
>>Once you find the percentage that works for you, it can translate
>>any instrument you might come across.  Likewise, you can place
>>target points anywhere in the scale, from A0-C88, not just move the

>>A's around, and have the rest of the tuning adjust based on those
>>A's.
>>
>>I used to spend upwards of 15 mins. each tuning sampling and
messing
>>with the graphing equalizer before tuning with RCT, and I did get
>>some pretty good results.  It's so much easier to fire up the VT,
>>punch in my custom setting, pick an optimizing temperament and just

>>start tuning.
>
>The sophistication of the VT is no surprise to me, but size matters.

>My current tuner tucks away on the bulb sitting on top of my
>shoulders.
>
>Has anyone else been perfectly happy with the tunings produced by an

>RTC or TuneLab, and especially grateful for the small size of the
>ETD? One which mounts easily on the tuning pins? That's the choice
>I'm thinking of making.
>

>Bill Ballard RPT
>NH Chapter, P.T.G.
>
>Visit Bhod Ankur, the underwater monument to yesterday's
civilization.