verituner

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:38:05 -0600

Hi David,

Have you ever tried sampling *all* the notes on a piano with tunelab pro?
Does it fall over if you do? Inquiring minds want to know. Would this give
the same results as a "verituner" calculation???

At 06:11 AM 10/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Bill:
>
>Yes, I've been very happy with the tunings made by TuneLab Pro,
>especially since the latest version was introduced.  Telling the
>program where the break is, and measuring 4 notes on each side of the
>break makes a very good tuning on even problem pianos.  My choice is
>still the full laptop version, but that's because I want the computer
>there for other reasons (scheduling, invoicing etc.) but the pocket
>version is also complete.  One thing I really appreciate about
>TuneLab in all its versions, is that it has never crashed my system.
>Robert writes very bug free code that is also quite compact.
>
>dave

>On 10/10/02 at 11:18 PM Bill Ballard wrote:
>
>>At 8:03 PM +0000 10/10/02, Ron Koval wrote:
>>>What the VT will do, using your example from above....
>>>
>>>You like the temperament octave real "clean" with a contracted 4:2,
>
>>>instead of guessing how much, let the machine measure both the 2:1
>>>and the 4:2 and put the tuning,say 70% between, favoring the 4:2.
>>>Once you find the percentage that works for you, it can translate
>>>any instrument you might come across.  Likewise, you can place
>>>target points anywhere in the scale, from A0-C88, not just move the
>
>>>A's around, and have the rest of the tuning adjust based on those
>>>A's.
>>>
>>>I used to spend upwards of 15 mins. each tuning sampling and
>messing
>>>with the graphing equalizer before tuning with RCT, and I did get
>>>some pretty good results.  It's so much easier to fire up the VT,
>>>punch in my custom setting, pick an optimizing temperament and just
>
>>>start tuning.
>>
>>The sophistication of the VT is no surprise to me, but size matters.
>
>>My current tuner tucks away on the bulb sitting on top of my
>>shoulders.
>>
>>Has anyone else been perfectly happy with the tunings produced by an
>
>>RTC or TuneLab, and especially grateful for the small size of the
>>ETD? One which mounts easily on the tuning pins? That's the choice
>>I'm thinking of making.
>>

>>Bill Ballard RPT
>>NH Chapter, P.T.G.
>>
>>Visit Bhod Ankur, the underwater monument to yesterday's
>civilization.
>

>_____________________________
>David M. Porritt
>dporritt@mail.smu.edu
>Meadows School of the Arts
>Southern Methodist University
>Dallas, TX 75275

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.