verituner/ tuneLab split scale tuning

Chris Peacock christuner440@yahoo.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:41:37 -0700 (PDT)

Dave,
I see you're using the split scale feature on practically everything.  I thought that it was only for spinets and poorly scaled pianos but have found, as you have, that it works well for any piano with a jump in inharmonicity at the break. Thanks for the confirmation.
Chris
 "David M. Porritt" <dm.porritt@verizon.net> wrote:Don:

No, I haven't tried sampling all the notes. I have sampled all the
Cs and F#s on several pianos, but frankly it does just as well with
fewer samples. With the latest version, you tell TuneLab Pro where
the break is by measuring the notes on each side of the break, and 3
other notes below the break, and 3 others above. Then it knows
exactly where the break is, and what kind of disparities are
involved. With this information -- 8 sampled notes and the exact
location of the break, a very good tuning is created. On poorly
scaled (short) pianos you can see some visual bumps in the tuning
curve that correspond to the break and some octaves below it. On
well scaled pianos these differences are often very subtle, but I do
like to tell the program where the break is except on Ds & Bs etc.
I'm very impressed with the results. Until this version came out, I
frequently just tuned the bass aurally. Now I can relax and use
TuneLab Pro down to the bottom. I still leave my ears on, but......

dave