Supply house confidentiality on prices

Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:25:48 -0700

Though hanging up on this individual crossed my mind for a fleeting =
instant, the fact that she's a teacher who has given me many new =
customers (not to mention my own sense of civility) precluded such a =
response.  The point, which was made in the previous conversation, is =
that the wholesale prices are not really wholesale but available upon =
request, it would seem.  BTW, the previous cover came with the piano =
(i.e., not provided by me) and had American Piano Supply's name which =
she accessed through the internet and came up with Schaff.

David Love =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: J Patrick Draine=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: October 14, 2002 5:07 PM
  Subject: Re: Supply house confidentiality on prices

  On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 07:38 PM, David Love wrote:

    Awhile ago we were discussing whether wholesale prices on supply =
house items were available to the general public.  Case in point.  A =
customer of mine needing a piano cover called Schaff (found the label on =
her other cover) to inquire about availability and price.  They were =
more than forthcoming about prices etc., without asking her any =
questions or about her account status.  She did not order the item for =
fear that they would ask her if she were a technician.  Rather, she =
called me with the price to ask if I could order it for her.  =20

  Whether or not the plumbing supply house would give me their wholesale =
price information, do you think that if I called my regular plumber, and =
asked him to supply me with the extraordinarily expensive (retail that =
is, about $220) water filter cartridges at *his cost* do you think he'd =
even bother to say "goodbye" as he hung up the phone?
  Piano technicians -- we're just too nice ....

  Patrick
  PS Obscure Schaff's phone number next time ...