Supply house confidentiality on prices

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 06:56:41 -0400

At 09:12 PM 10/14/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Nobody's arguing that we shouldn't mark up, I generally do.  But it takes a
>bit out of it when these items are evidently available to the public at
>wholesale prices.
>David Love

Case in point:

I received a call for a piano owner last night who purchased touch weight
analysis equipment and
directions from Bill Spurlock. He wanted me to talk him through the
procedure.  I mentioned the
upcoming Regional Seminar in May and suggested he take the classes which
would be of interest to him.
He plans on buying parts from Steinway...I wonder how far he'll get.

A few years ago, someone wanted a reroll mechanism installed into their
player piano.  They balked at
my quote saying they could buy the unit from Player Piano Co for a lot less
than that.  I suggested that
they purchase the unit and I'd install it.  Nope, they wanted me to buy it
and give it to them at my cost.
Ultimately, they were too cheap to spring for an installation charge.

It seems that the suppliers should establish a retail price list for those
who have not established a commercial account with them.