key dip, dip in.....

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:13:17 -0400

At 08:49 PM 10/18/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> > André,
> > I too set all key dips to 10mm but would like to know one thing...
> > What is the consensus about where along the keystick does this 10mm get
> > measured,
> > at the front, back a little further or over the front rail pin.
> >
> > Also, are there differences between these manufacturers about the dip
> on sharps.

>We should always put the key dip tool (the little plastic Yamaha or Steinway
>block) at the front and feel with our finger the connection with the left
>key and the right key because very often the keys are not horizontal but lie
>at an angle (because the balance rail pins are usually not exactly 90º.
>If the key is slightly falling to one side and you measure for instance only
>the right side you get a distorted picture.
>I have made it my custom to very fast shift the key dip measure block from
>left to right and my finger goes along, feeling the differences on either
>side. Most manufacturers use 12 mm for the sharps.

Yes, I split the difference 'left-to-right' when measuring with the block
and set the sharps' height ~12mm, but that did not answer the questions.
Not having either of the above mentioned key dip blocks, I can't measure
that spec.  I have a 3/8" block with some punchings glued to the bottom,
sanded scientifically set to .390 (just a bit back making the front - not
the overhang - making the front 10mm).

         Actually, the punchings are glued to what some may call the top,
the side with the overhang.  I was shown to place the dip block 'upside down'
         on the key, thereby having the overhang on the block mated to the
overhang on the key while depressing. It is a lot faster than aligning
         the overhang to the adjacent keys once depressed.

I've heard differing theories on 'dip' - where to measure and to how
judge/calibrate sharp dip, and am curious to find out what someone with
your vast
experience can boil it all down to... and what if any are the factory's
particulars in these regards.

Warm greetings from sunny Cape Cod,

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician