key dip, dip in.....

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:49:05 -0700

If you set the naturals at 10mm (which I agree with) then the sharps should
be dipped to match the aftertouch.  This will vary from piano to piano as
the key ratio on the sharps sometimes varies from that of the naturals.  I
don't adhere to a set distance for sharps.  Either do it by feel or by
observation of jack escapement (on the bench) to match the naturals.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "antares" <antares@euronet.nl>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 18, 2002 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: key dip, dip in.....

> From: Jon Page <jonpage@attbi.com>
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:25:19 -0400
> To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject: Re: key dip, dip in.....

> André,
> I too set all key dips to 10mm but would like to know one thing...
> What is the consensus about where along the keystick does this 10mm get
> measured,
> at the front, back a little further or over the front rail pin.
>
> Also, are there differences between these manufacturers about the dip on
> sharps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page,   piano technician
> Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
> mailto:jonpage@attbi.com

Hello Jon,

We should always put the key dip tool (the little plastic Yamaha or Steinway
block) at the front and feel with our finger the connection with the left
key and the right key because very often the keys are not horizontal but lie
at an angle (because the balance rail pins are usually not exactly 90º.
If the key is slightly falling to one side and you measure for instance only
the right side you get a distorted picture.
I have made it my custom to very fast shift the key dip measure block from
left to right and my finger goes along, feeling the differences on either
side.

Most manufacturers use 12 mm for the sharps.

friendly greetings
from

Antares,

Amsterdam, Holland