ears vs. eyes..kinda long-winded

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:54:45 -0400

Hi floks.

This debate will go on for as long as there are pianos to tune, and choices
to be made on whether or not to tune aurally or visually.

Personally, I won't get in the middle of it. I don't find it necessary to
defend either one. I'm ambidextrious when it comes to Piano Tuning.

I find my own preferences 'interesting' and worth sharing if you're willing
to spend a minute or 2 to read....

In Orlando, at the Great Tune-Off between the esteemed Jim Coleman and
equally esteemed Virgil Smith, I found myself, as a raw recruit new to the
biz, rooting for the time-honored aural tuning. At that point, I had not
learned yet to tune aurally to my satisfaction..yet, with all that Jim
Coleman had done for me up to that point, I found myself rooting for Virgil,
someone who I only knew as a legend in the field.

When the results came back as essentially a 'draw', it opened my eyes even
further to 'there is no better way' with regards to piano tuning. If a room
full of full-timers were not able to pick one piano as being that much
better than another, then far be it from me to get into a debate whether one
method is better than another.

When I finally learned to tune aurally to my satisfaction, the SAT gathered
dust for awhile. Also, let me point out that the SAT is directly responsible
for my aural abilities, along with some great coaching from the "Atlanta
Connection". I tuned every piano in sight for awhile aurally, 9'ers and
Spinets alike. There was no going back to the SAT...thought about selling
it...

Hold On Grasshopper.....

I also learned that aural fatigue is as real as physical fatigue, and the
ability to dial in FAC's when one is whipped is just as much an art as is
aural tuning.

..then comes the debate of using your ears along with your eyes...

Well, personally, I find myself making minute changes at the Bass/Tenor
break in some pianos, not all, when using the SAT. Other than that, I let
the machine do the work of telling me when it's in tune..I let my hammer
technique tell me when the sting is stable.

Where is this all going?

Nowhere, really. It just that for every better mouse trap invented, there
will always be those who don't feel the mouse trap is necessary. Neither one
is incorrect and neither one is fully correct.

Recently, I tuned a C2 for someone I am apprenticing. He has been using the
SATlll on it, learning technique, etc. He was curious as to how his piano
would sound tuned aurally....so I did.

The Result: Without being able to put a finger on it, it sounded
'different'. To me, it sounded a bit more alive than it did before. Being
the prop head that he is, he measured my aural tuning against the SATlll
setting he had been using. With the exception of the Bass, the numbers were
very close(whew!!), but different enough to both of our ears to sound
'different'.

Would the Verituner or the RCT give different numbers? Being unfamiliar with
both machines, I can not give an honest answer.

Would it matter THAT much?

I have my doubts.

The point in all this is that there is more than one way to catch the mouse,
and as long as the mouse is caught carefully and without incident elsewhere,
does it matter?

Well, there was a time when auto mechanics could tell a car's performance
from it's sound, not from its numbers. I trust those can can do both.
They've had the training from both sides of the fence.

As have I.

Setting your sights on 'there is only one way' might be short-changing
yourself, and more importantly, the piano.

Pianos have a habit of not lying about what it likes, and doesn't like. Some
people spend a lifetime trying to figure that out..frankly, most of us will.
I like to think that those that can tune both ways are just slightly ahead
of those who chose to use one method...but only slightly, because there is
no best way. Just as Virgil or Jim.

Respectfully,

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
tito@philbondi.com