key dip

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:27:31 +0200

Sorry that was gone on another thread

Hello and Happy Birthday, Richard !

I believe the 10mm rule (or conclusion) mean that this dip is the most
comfortable as a generality.

May be some very large handed pianists could (if they where aware of) ask
for a keyboard regulation at a different dip/level, but I like the logic to
work with a comfortable dip, and regulate the remaining of the action to
concur.

I've never seen a pianist checking the dip, always they check the aftertouch
to see if it please them, most educated then know they can ask for a little
aftertouch change in a little time.

I regulated a S&S b last week, that had Abel heads on it. The heads where
too tall, and the tails too long.

Working with 10 mm was not an applicable solution (while I tried at first),
as I obtained too much aftertouch, with the long tails the touch became very
bad.

But I hade it working at 9.85mm , shanks almost on the cushions, and that
was the less bad I could obtain.

If regulated at 9.5 (factory spec) , not enough sound, and an action that
lack responsiveness.

Old Schimmel grand's where intended for 10.25 or 10.5, Kaway are said for
10.25, but if you change the soft punching for better (more firm) ones, you
can regulate to 10 mm dip, and you recognize immediately that you have the
correct touch on these strange actions.

Anyway again I discover how much time is lost in regulation when incorrect
parts have been fitted.

Regards.

Have a nice Sunday

Isaac OLEG