key dip

Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:44:28 +0200

Isaac OLEG wrote:

Hello and Happy Birthday, Richard !

Thanks my friend !

I believe the 10mm rule (or conclusion) mean that this dip
is the most comfortable as a generality.

It certainly is the most common, and that infers some
general agreement on the matter. But this does vary from
person to person, and is not always the most optimal for
every given action. Now this doesnt mean that I think 10 mm
is a bad standard or starting point. It just means I dont
feel like its justified to go out and shoot the tech next
door, or the customer down the street because he / she
prefers something else that is also quite workable.

May be some very large handed pianists could (if they where
aware of) ask for a keyboard regulation at a different
dip/level, but I like the logic to work with a comfortable
dip, and regulate the remaining of the action to concur.

Some people like hard pillows, some like soft. Again I say
its not really our job to insist on such conformities.
Especially when they dont quite work out anyways.

I've never seen a pianist checking the dip, always they
check the aftertouch to see if it please them, most educated
then know they can ask for a little aftertouch change in a
little time.

A very good point. One which defininatly requires a degree
of flexibility on the 10 mm thing. Either that or some other
regulating parameter, most likely a series of regulating
comprimises that include dip.... hence the +/- 0.2 or other
such leaway we see in spec manuals. And if aftertouch is
indeed the main concern.... then its much easier to see why
some manufactures opt for deeper or more shallow dips....
because this allows other action configuation changes....
for example a lower ratio and higher SW.  That I acknowledge
the viability of these choices says nothing about my own
personal preferences... except to say that I prefer the "to
each their own" in this matter.

I regulated a S&S b last week, that had Abel heads on it.
The heads where too tall, and the tails too long.

Working with 10 mm was not an applicable solution (while I
tried at first), as I obtained too much aftertouch, with the
long tails the touch became very bad.

But I hade it working at 9.85mm , shanks almost on the
cushions, and that was the less bad I could obtain.

Good point. Course purists would say you should change the
hammers and get it all "right". But there you have it.

If regulated at 9.5 (factory spec) , not enough sound, and
an action that lack responsiveness.

This kind of comment comes up a lot really, and I think is
perhaps part of the reason why many in our trade have opted
for the opposited end of the field. Little dip, high ratio,
light hammers, low mass. Yet a lot of folks tend in this
direction too... what can ya say... tastes is tastes :)

Old Schimmel grand's where intended for 10.25 or 10.5, Kaway
are said for 10.25, but if you change the soft punching for
better (more firm) ones, you can regulate to 10 mm dip, and
you recognize immediately that you have the correct touch on
these strange actions

For the most I also use 10mm as standard, and 45 to 48 blow.
Let off and drop tho are determinants for me. The jack has
to just come out from under the knuckle and just barely so.
If I need to adjust dip or blow to get that I do. Otherwise
I have to dig deeper in to the action to find out what
gives. Which of course one does if one is getting paid for
the further work :)

Anyway again I discover how much time is lost in regulation
when incorrect parts have been fitted.

You can say that again !! :)

Regards.

Have a nice Sunday