VT one pass pitch raises: was Recording Studio Tuning

Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:56:46 -0700

I have had the opportunity to use the VT for several one pass pitch raises
recently and it works as well as can be expected.  I did try it on one piano
I had recently that did require a 100+ cent raise with only limited success.
Just too far to go.  However, I've had several pianos where, for example,
the tenor was about 10c flat and the upper end tapered down to only about 2c
flat.  The bass was about 3-4 c flat.  I tuned the piano in fine+ (the one
pass pitch raise mode) and then switched the offset to 0 and checked the
tuning.  It was very very close.  The only problem I can see is that you
have to monitor each note and keep in mind a general average of flatness of
sharpness, as the case may be.  Whereas the RCT calculates a trailing
average and projects the offset of the note you are tuning based on those
previous notes, the VT does not.  If you have an outlier (a note which is
sharp or flat out of the general pattern) then you must fudge the offset to
make it more consistent with the general pattern.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe And Penny Goss" <imatunr@srvinet.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 21, 2002 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: Recording Studio Tuning

Hi Terry Just that it is a lot easier to use with the same view for all
tunings. ( the spinner is different but the same used on all )
well worth the effort to down load.
I have not toyed with the new one step pitch raise enough  to know how it
will work on large pitch raises but Dave ( he led me through the down-load
process ) says it will work on raises of 100 cents. Much better than the old
50 cents and the view remains the same as for the fine tune. So Far I have
not had a piano off over 10 cents to try it out on, other than just a chip
tuning and that is really not a good test.
If you have any trouble give him a call.
1 800 verituner
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com