old "elbow" plastic

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:13:27 EDT

In a message dated 10/22/02 2:14:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

> They appear to be made of the EXACT same plastic, so i'm
> wondering HOW the elbows have all but disintegrated, but the flanges are,
> seemingly, just fine. Could it be that because the flages, being  somewhat
> less exposed than the elbows, have somehow been preserved? Anyway, I just
> found this quite curious.

Perhaps the reason is that the elbows were, for a time, exposed to the damp
chaser bar, many of the spinets came supplied with. That placed the elbows
close to heat, while the flanges were further away, and did not get the heat
treatment.

In any case, however, it might be prudent for you to suggest to the customer
that you replace the flanges at the same time as the elbows, because sooner
or later, they will start to crumble, too.

Wim