Repetition Lever Size Problem

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:20:05 -0400

Hi gang. Rebuilding a 1947 Baldwin M action. Renner has a great match for the shank/knuckle/flange (Abel flange is cut wrong on the back side for this action rail). The Renner New Baldwin wippen assembly also appears to be a perfect fit - except for the end of the repetition lever nearest the flange. I installed these parts on the action and regulated a few notes. Everything is real good, but with a 46 mm blow, a 10 mm dip  (how about that Antares!) and about 0.6 mm aftertouch  (.025") the shank is just touching the top of the repetition lever height adjustment screw (it is actually 1/16" above it, but the hammer I have on the shank is bored such that I have a bit of overstriking, so the shank will be about 1/16" lower). The old wippens have a shorter repetition lever post, which in turn brings the flange end of the old wippens down quite a bit lower and provide ample clearance for the shank. Every thing else on these Renner wips fits/aligns quite well, and even slightly improves some of the basic geometry.

Obviously I could shorten the blow distance, but I don't want to do that on a new action because of ill-fitting parts.

Is there something that I might be overlooking? Any great ideas? Should I try Baldwin, Gibson, or whoever owns them now? I tremble just thinking of pursuing that route. Thanks for any ideas.

Terry Farrell