Shaving Steinway Double Flanges

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:14:54 -0400

Dear List,

I'm finishing up on a Steinway 1883 Model F (older brother to K),
swapping damper levers and double flanges. If I'd been able to
convince the owner to install new butts as well, I wouldn't have to
worry about the mismatch of the 1883 buts and the Tokiwa double
flanges. The new are slightly wider (not a problem)

However, the space into which the half-bird's eye and butt plate slip
into the front of the double flanges H-shape. 0.020" narrower the new
double flange than the old. I'm going to be able to shave the 20 mils
off manually, using a machinist vice, an adjustable parallel slightly
narrower than the thickness of the flange, and my freshly sharpened
felt knife. The height of the adjustable parallel is set as a
reference, so that the  flange when set on its side on the parallel
in the jaws, will sit high enough so that the flange leg will be 20
mils proud above the tops of the jaws. The felt knife runs along the
top of the jaws, levering downwards on the bevel of its grind. (Yes,
you have to keep track of the grain even when shaving off this thin a
peal. DAMHIK)

But I'm curious. Has anybody tried to slim down a flange leg(?), say
a specified and uniform 20 mils. Certainly a milling machine, but few
of us have that. How about a table saw (sliding fence jig)? A router
table (once again a sliding jig)? An over-arm router would nice. A 1"
saw blade mounted in a Dremel miniature milling machine?

Also, it helps when your confirming the compatibility of the new and
old parts to check with more than just the eyeballs. I'm not happy
about disturbing those damper levers (and the regulation based
thereon).

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"When writing a mental note, first procure a mental piece of paper"
     ............mental graffitti