lazy RPT

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:29:50 -0500

Hi Tom,

Before calling someone lazy, you might try to find out more about the
circumstances of the service call.  Was there a charge for adjusting
capstans?  Was it discussed with the customer?  Did the customer even
notice that the work was done?

Here are appropriate reasons for adjusting capstans only in the middle and
not on the ends.
1.  When this is the first visit to a piano that needs so much work done
that I run out of time.
2.  When the piano student is a beginner and is only playing notes between
C3 and C5.
3.  When I am pressed for time but want to improve the piano as much as I
can in the time allotted.
4.  When the piano is owned by a non-player.

At the next tuning visit, then I would adjust the rest of the capstans
correctly as well, depending on if there is enough time.  Call me lazy if
you wish, but I find that I am doing work that the piano needs and the
piano is left in better condition than when I started.

Should the capstans all be adjusted correctly?  Yes.

Should I charge appropriately for my time?  Yes

Should I give the customer a good value for their money by doing extra
work?  Yes

Am I being lazy by doing extra work to improve the piano, even if I am not
being paid for it.  I don't think so, but I may be stupid.

And yes, you should talk to the individual first and resolve it with them
first before bringing it out in public.

Respectfully,
David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO