Weird tuning pin experience

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:55:06 -0500

At 06:10 PM 10/23/02, Alan R. Barnard wrote:

>Pins are only about 20-25 in. lbs. torque.

Personally, I do not tune pianos with 20-25 inch-pounds torque if I can
help it.  In fact, my last appointment of the day was condemning a Lester
Betsy Ross spinet with 10-20 inch pounds torque.  There is no sense in
tuning a piano like this.  Frustrates the tuner, frustrates the piano
owner, and wastes your time and their money.  A piano with low torque
(20-25 inch-pounds torque) is not tuneable and needs repairs before a
tuning will hold.  50 inch-pounds is ok, below 50 inch-pounds is not.  70
inch-pounds torque is much better.

The piano needs (in order of cost)
1.  A new pinblock
2.  Restringing with larger tuning pins
3.  A set of larger tuning pins (but if you have 16 year old wire, watch
out for breaking strings while replacing the tuning pins)
4.  Remove all tuning pins, swab inside of tuning pin holes with marine
epoxy, reinstall tuning pins.
5.  CA glue treatment of the pinblock  - (Alan, look in the archives or
write me about this repair.)
6.  Shimming individual tuning pins.  (Note this is INDIVIDUAL tuning
pins.  If you have a lot of loose tuning pins, shimming is not the way to
go, in my opinion.)

>Tunes okay, doesn't hold. Has DC installed 4 mos. ago.

Torque is too low to hold.  Piano is untunable with 20-25 inch-pounds
torque.  My frustration level with loose tuning pins is such that if the
torque is too low, I won't tune.  I hate call backs, and I hate doing work
that I can't guarantee.

>Alan Barnard
>Performing CPR (Critical Piano Repairs) in Salem, MO

Alan, call me, or e-mail.  I'd like to help if I can.

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO