Comparing Baldwins & A Question

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:50:23 -0500

Tuned three Baldwin consoles today ... distinctly different in some ways =
... all owned by the U.S. Army ...

1. Brand new, just delivered. Good thing I ate my Wheaties be for going =
to work, what a wrestling match. Found it hard to pull in many of the =
plain wire unisons.

2. Ancient POS PSO Hamilton. Sounds lousy even when tuned its best. =
Hammer shanks appear to be made of rubberized wood, very wiggly despite =
repinned flanges, etc. Lotta sloppy action parts. Worn.

3. Also old Hamilton. Found it flat in the bass, sharp in tenor treble, =
but it tuned up like a dream, unisons just fell into place, sweet as you =
please. And the action feels well regulated and solid, despite no real =
service for at least a few years.

The #3 had a funny thing. The first 3 or 4 notes after the treble break =
had a distinct, bad sound when the hammer struck them .... as though =
someone were simultaneously striking a drummers wood block with a hard =
mallet. Not much "musical" sound or sustain.  The hammers have plenty of =
felt and were recently shaped by yours truly. There is nothing touching =
or interfering with the strings. Applied needle to hammer ... no change =
at all. Tried attacking the hammer like an OJ crime scene reenactment =
... no change.   ???????