Shift Problems

Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:14:34 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac OLEG" <oleg-i@wanadoo.fr>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 25, 2002 11:50 AM
Subject: RE: Shift Problems

> Hello,
>
> It's the other direction, Del (hammers too far at the left probably)
>
> regards.
> Isaac O Zoreil

Hmm? I said, "If the shanks are generally aligned too far to toward the
bass...." And from where I usually sit the bass is toward the left.

I suspect that the keyframe rest block is too wide--it may not have been
properly 'adjusted' (trimmed) placing the keyframe too far toward the treble
(the right). If this is the case to get the hammers aligned to the strings
the hammershanks would have to be biased--angled--slightly toward the bass
(the left).

To correct this the hammershanks are aligned to the wippens, the keyframe
rest block is trimmed appropriately positioning the keyframe some toward the
bass (the left). There is even a 'proper' way to determine just where it
should end up. Measure the gap between the bass keyblock and the outside
edge of A-1 and the gap between the treble keyblock and the outside edge of
C-88. Add these two numbers together and subtract the amount of action
shift. Divide the answer in two and use that figure to establish the proper
gap between the bass keyblock and the outside edge of A-1. (All of this
assumes that the keyblocks are the proper width.)

Once the keyframe is in the proper place the hammers are once again spaced
accurately to the strings. (They will all be shifted a bit toward the treble
(the right). Once the keyframe is in the correct spot it's a good idea to
also check the alignment of the back action to the backs of the keys. More
often than not it will have to be moved a bit to follow the keyset.

Del